List of basic documents, for a residence permit application (each applicant):
- a valid traveldocument (passport, identification card);
- completed application form for a residence permit (standard form);
- 1 photo;
- confirmation of lack of criminal record (for every applicant over the age of 14), issued by a competent institution in the country of citizenship, or other country where the applicant has resided for the last 12 months (valid for a period of six months after issuance);
- a document confirming the means for subsistence (valid for a period of three months after issuance);
- a document confirming the place of residence in the Republic of Latvia (valid for a period of three months after issuance);
- a document confirming the state duty payment.
- documents proving the relationship, in cases where members of the investor’s family are applying for residence permits (marriage certificate, birth certificate);
- documents confirming applicant’s legal source of income for the investment performed– can be individually requested by the immigration office;
Additional documents in case of investment in real estate:
- a document certifying the title for real estate;
- a document certifying that the payment for the real estate acquired has been made by a method other than a cash payment;
- valuation of the acquired real estate implemented by a certified evaluator if cadastral value of purchased real estate is less than 80 000 EUR;
- purchase agreement.
Additional documents in case of investment in a Latvian credit institution:
- applicant’s contract with the bank on providing the subordinated loan (deposit) for at least 5 years;
- bank reference, confirming subordinated loan (deposit) was provided to the bank.
Documents can be submitted in Latvian, Russian, English, German, or French language. Documents in other languages must be duly translated and certified.
Terms of consideration of documents submitted for residence permit request ranges from 5 to 30 days (depends on the amount of state duty paid by applicant). Fees for consideration of the documents:
- in 30 days – 142,29 EUR
- in 10 working days – 284,57 EUR
- in 5 working days – 426,86 EUR
In cases where documents were submitted to a diplomatic or consular representation of the Republic of Latvia abroad, an additional consular fee of 45-75 EUR is charged.
The time required for the consideration of applications varies from 10 working days to 90 days for residents of the following countries: Afghanistan, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Jordan, Kenya, Korea, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine (persons whose place of residence or place of birth is under Palestinian self-government ), Saudi Arabia, Syria, Somalia, Sudan, Sri Lanka, Tunisia and other.
In the case of investments in interest-free State securities with a nominal value of EUR 250 000, such investment should be made after the applicant has received the positive decision on granting him the residence permit from the Latvian Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs.
The one-time fee defined by the law and payable to the State budget is paid only after the applicant has received the positive decision on granting him the residence permit from the Latvian Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs. The fees involved are as follows:
- Investment in the equity capital of a Latvian capital company – not defined;
- Investment in a Latvian credit institution – 25 000 EUR;
- Investment in real estate in Latvia – 5% of the real estate purchase price;
- Investments in interest-free State securities – 25 000 EUR.
List of documents required in order to obtain a visa to Latvia
Latvian representations abroad issue Schengen visas which are valid for the territories of all Schengen countries. The visa for entry into Latvia must be issued in foreign diplomatic representations or consulates of the Republic of Latvia.
- A valid travel document, which will remain valid for at least three months following the period for which the visa is requested; the document must also have two free pages for the visa;
- Visa application form (standard form);
- Color photo (35 mm by 45 mm);
- A medical insurance policy valid in Latvia and all member states of the Schengen agreement (the amount of insurance cover must be not less than 30 000 EUR);
- Documents proving sufficient financial assets for entrance and stay in the territory of the Schengen area, as well as for return to the country of residence;
- Receipt for the payment of the fee due to the State for consideration of the application on the visa.
- Documents proving the reason for entrance and address during visit:
- Documents proving the reason for entrance;
- Document confirming availability of a place of residence;
- Document confirming communication with the country of residence;
- Availability of the invitation approved not more than 6 months earlier *;
* Invitation – a legal person must submit an application to the Management on Affairs of Citizenship and Migration (in Latvia) for the invitation for a foreign citizen to visit Latvia, assuming responsibility for the foreign citizen’s departure from the state upon expiry of the visa, and, if necessary, guaranteeing the expenses connected with the foreign citizen’s stay in Latvia and return to the country of residence.